Banner created by Irish Diablo Random Bits of Pomposity: I Miss My Daddy

Saturday, December 31, 2005

I Miss My Daddy


I don't believe I've ever written that down. I think it a lot, especially during the holidays.
He was murdered when I was very young, and at times, his memory seems so fleeting. Or, maybe it's because I have so very few memories of him.
I remember him coming home for lunch sometimes. He would drop his labcoat on the floor, recline on the sofa for a twenty minute snooze, grab a sandwich, then a nice, newly- starched labcoat for the afternoon. I remember the smell, and the way it scratched my cheek, and crinkled when he hugged me.
I remember my maternal, parental unit used to bitch about that afternoon labcoat. "Why do u have to have a clean one?!". I resented her for it.
He smoked Belairs, and saved the coupons. I don't, to this day, know why.
He taught me to play chess when I was 7, how to shoot a long gun when I was 9, and by the time I was 10, I was well into the classics, because he encouraged me to read....OFTEN.
He would "sneak" bottled Cokes to me (SHE didn't allow them), and take me to the corner store for penny candies. Remember when a quarter would FILL a small, brown bag???
I had two distinctly different types of grandparents; his, that lived in the country, and encouraged us (my brother and I) to play "King on the Cow PooPoo", jump in the hay- loft, and chase the lil baby chicks. And HER'S; the bourgeous, country- clubers, with Hummels in the living room that I was NOT allowed to touch. Which do you think I preferred?
He took us swimming, down by the "Old Buffalo Hole", where the water was always deliciously cooler the further you dove, and little fishes would nip at your legs.
We'd sleep at Great-granmaw's old house. She'd been long-dead, and it was rented out in the wintertime to deerhunters. It was rustic, with floorheaters, and musty quilts, and a TIN ROOF! Daddy waited for us to fall asleep one night, then went out to toss small pebbles on the roof, and make "who who whooooo", owl noises in the dark. We knew it was him, but I jumped into his arms, oh sooooo quick when he came in through the kitchen door! Silly Daddy.
He wasn't around long enough to slink, Ninja-like, behind the door when boys brought me home from dates. He didn't see me graduate, and I didn't have him by my side when I married. He will never nuzzle his grandchildren, or teach them how to put a red wiggler on a hook. He will never teach them patience, or the art of strategy, with a rousing game of chess. Sad.
Daddies, go give your little girls a hug and a kiss, for me. If they are grown, call them and tell them how much you love them, for me. Remind them that they will ALWAYS be, "my little girl", for me.
Thank you.
Happy New Year, Daddy. I love you, and I miss you.
Free Web Site Counter
Website Counters